Friday, September 21, 2018

Goodbye Old Paint


I got a call from the neighbor yesterday - needed some help bleeding the brakes on the old Dodge. That's done so I can move it down the road now. He wants me to make a project for him - so no actual cash exchange, just another project to work on.

I got the job for the Missus done Wednesday evening. Had some welding and machining both on that one. Had to ream the ID on some tubing so another piece of tube would fit inside it. Then I had to mill some slots in one end of the tubes and fit a collar like on a bicycle seat post to pinch the tube that goes inside. Then weld the new tubes on a cart to replace the old ones. It was a little more than I wanted to take on at the present time, but now Momma's happy. And that's always a good thing.

Speaking of Momma, she told me the other day of a school here in Indiana that served a couple of breadsticks as the main entrée in their cafeteria for lunch. When the parents complained, they were told that there was cheese sauce the students could have to give them some protein with their meal. I had a similar conversation with the lunch lady at the high school one time - made her cry in fact. I felt real bad about that, but you can't defend breadsticks and nacho cheese sauce as a healthy lunch no matter what you say, or the federal guidelines say.

Last but not least, I got a haircut and an honest to goodness barber shop shave the other day. A former student of mine attended barber college and I saw that he was working not too far from the college so I stopped in and got the works. Nice haircut, trimmed up the beard and got a shave with the hot towel treatment both before and after the shave. The young man did a real fine job and gave me the senior discount. It's always nice to see my former students making good. He's looking to open his own shop locally as soon as he gets a few bucks ahead. I hope so. Nice young man.

No comments: