Sunday, September 9, 2018

Pie "R" Square

Usually the punch line is pie are round, cornbread are square. This time pie are rectangle. The Missus made a grape pie for me as she usually does when the grapes are ripe. This time, for what ever reason, she tried a little something different and made it like you would apple slices or something. I'm certainly not one to complain where pie is concerned, so I've been working my way through it. I will say the filling is a little thicker this time so if that was what she was working on, mission accomplished. Even though it's not quite as pretty as the round ones usually are, it's every bit as tasty.

I got some help yesterday from a few of the big strong guys from the boxing gym setting the veranda up. Everything went fairly smoothly until it was standing up about seven inches too high! Apparently when I wrote my measurement for the height of the legs, I had meant to go from the top of the deck surface rather than the bottom. I assembled the frame of the deck on the floor of the barn and then stood it up out of the way. I wrote my number down and put an arrow on there but when I took it outside and flip it around, I went off the wrong side. I thought about double checking it since it had been a year but like a dumbass, I went ahead and put it together. A little embarrassing, to say the least.

I got the legs chopped off without any mishaps and the whole thing is up and plumb, so all is good now. It didn't actually take that long to fix my screw-up. After standing it up and discovering my mistake, I decided I'd take a break, eat lunch and address the issue later. I already had a pretty good idea on how to handle it prior to going in for lunch, but it cases such as these it's often better to take a step back and think about it a bit. Fortunately, not only do I have enough tools to build things, I've got enough tools to fix even a major screw-up like this one. I had it finished a couple of hours later. All it took was some planking, cribbing, two floor jacks, a circular saw and some layout tools - gave me some practice for later on when I have to cut the top of the posts to length after I get the railing finalized.

The weather is supposed to be good this upcoming week. Maybe I can  get the back corner posts and the decking on one of the nice days.

No comments: