Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Harvest Time & The Grim Reaper


Ran into a bit of a snag on the brake repair on the Dodge. I got the rubber hose fixed but when my ace helper started pumping the pedal to get the line bled, something above started dripping down. Looks like one of the hard lines I had to unhook decided to leak as well. There are two lines running side by side to each other, both are vinyl coated except where the spacer block goes and that appears to be where the leak is coming from. I decided to bail out and just take it to my neighbor. He does good work at reasonable rates and I won't have to worry about the new owner having an issue.

Monday was Constitution Day. It would be awfully nice if those in Congress actually knew what was in the Constitution and tried to uphold it. The federal government is supposed to have very limited powers. Things in this country would probably run much smoother, and more economically, if the majority of the powers remained with the states as things were meant to be. Hillsdale College has a free course on the Constitution. I'm planning on taking it this winter. A democratic republic requires an informed citizenry.


It's harvest time - they're picking corn all around my neighborhood which means a lot of big, slow moving farm vehicles on the roads. Plus, the County tried to convert most of the paved roads around here back to gravel by covering the roads with those damn tar & chips. Be careful out there, especially those of you who ride. You turn onto a side road and you can find yourself in loose gravel where there used to be nice pavement.


Yesterday was the 48th anniversary of the death of Jimi Hendrix - long time ago now. When I first started teaching I was at a regular comprehensive high school in the inner city. They held a battle of the bands that was open to the community. I went because some of my students were playing. A guy showed up to play that was dressed just like Hendrix. This was probably '76 or '77. Big bell bottoms, head band - pretty much just like the photo of Hendrix above - the cat could play pretty much like Hendrix as well. Picking with his teeth, playing behind his head, the whole deal. I don't think I ever knew who the guy was and I never heard or saw him again, but he sure could play.

No comments: