Tuesday, September 22, 2020

A Bit of Progress +

 


I saw this over at Handverker. He hadn't posted for quite some time but I checked it out on a whim yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see he had been pretty active. He hasn't posted again in about a month but he put up lots of good stuff prior to that. He and I have much in common, so I'm always interested in seeing what he's been up to. He seems to have settled into his new teaching position and new homestead quite nicely. Glad to see it.


I got the motor mounts bent - came out pretty nice. I bead blasted them afterwards to remove any scale to facilitate welding and give a nicer finish when it's time to paint.


Next up is the make the mounts that bolt to the engines. Each side of the engine is different. This is the left side and should be pretty straight forward. The right side will be a bit trickier but I need to get them finished up so I can move on. When I get the engine located on the mounts I can bolt on the water pump and fan which will allow me to start figuring out the radiator. I saw one in the Speedway catalog that might work for me. It's got a long filler neck that will allow me to have it stick through the top of the grille/housing like in the top photo. In fact, I'm looking to build the jitney along similar lines. Good looking automobile. I especially like the louvers. Be nice to have a louver press but this project will probably be the last time I would ever need it. 


While I had the torch out I straightened out the piece for my tubing bender. I bent it while bending the tubing for the cockpit. That was only 3/4" square and the dies go up to 1" square. I'm going to plate the out sides of the bender and then tackle a piece of 3/4" round for the Rickati project. I'll keep the torch handy and heat the tubing up if need be. I'm disappointed in this set of bending dies but it's what I've got.



No comments: