Saturday, September 26, 2020

New Stairs

 


I got the new stairs made yesterday. Not that big of a job, especially since I had the other ones for a pattern. Two pieces of treated lumber was a tick over $50.00. I don't know what all happened with the treated lumber supply but the local lumber yard was out of it for a while - maybe they still are. I got this from Menards and at least I saved the 11% this week. 


When I got ready to start on the stairs, I was gathering up all the tools and threw them in my old carpenter's box. I made this maybe 45 years ago. When I made it all my woodworking tools would fit in there but like most handyman homeowners, the tool collection continued to grow. I'm at the point now there's very little I don't have and not much of anything I would like to have. A planer would be nice but I don't I don't do enough woodworking to justify having one. I was pretty proud of myself yesterday with the tools I threw in the box. I had most everything first trip out - only had to make one trip back to the shop. Energy conservation is becoming more important all the time.


The left side motor mount is done. Looks pretty good. After I get the right side made up, I'll weld the parts that support the rubber biscuits to the frame rails. I'm going to have to go on the hunt for a transmission one of these days soon so I can make a crossmember and finalize the engine placement.


My metal order arrived yesterday. A sheet of aluminum for the firewall and a couple of small flat bars that the local guy I normally buy my steel from doesn't carry. I'm not ready for this stuff but they had a 20% off sale, so the time was right.

I'll juggle my time in the next couple of days between finishing the right side motor mount and doing some painting on the shack. Supposed to cool off next week but also calling for rain. Still got about another month of painting weather so too soon to panic.





No comments: