Sunday, September 27, 2020

Himalayan Review

 The new Cycle World magazine came in the mail Friday. There's an article on the Himalayan by Peter Egan. If you've been reading motorcycle magazines for any length of time you'll recognize the name and know that he's been around a long time and knows his motorcycles. Anyway, he bought a Himalayan and put 3,600 miles on it this past summer. In his review he mentions how much he enjoys the bike as well as a couple of the quirks - like the compass has only a vague correlation with the actual direction and that the bike won't idle until it's warmed up. Same as mine.

He didn't mention the kickstand being a bit too long but, coincidentally, there's an advertisement for the Himalayan in the magazine and it mentions a shortened kickstand and an updated compass on the 2021 model. I was thinking of shortening up my kickstand this winter. Probably only have to take about 3/16" out of it to fix it. The Missus said I should call the dealer and see about buying a new one. I may do that but as a welder of some experience, it would be embarrassing to have to tell someone I bought a new one rather than doing the job myself.

 Egan bought the factory panniers and crash bars like I have and he also bought a new seat cover and foam from Seat Concepts. They offer two seats for $180.00, both use the stock pan. He bought the tall one. Egan and I are about the same height and age, so if it works for him it would probably work for me but I'd like to try one before buying one. As it is, I'll probably just fix the kickstand and call it done.

The magazine also has a nice article on the Harley XR-750 by Allan Girdler who is the guy who literally wrote the book on these bikes. I haven't read the rest of the articles yet but this looks to be an especially good issue. I don't know what I'm going to do when they stop publishing bike magazines in print. I spend way too much time on the laptop as it is - especially since I just finished a book on the dangers of EMF from laptops, cell phones, smart appliances, etc.    



No comments: