Thursday, September 10, 2020

Books & Nuts

 


Hazel nuts. I would have liked to have left them on the bush a week or two longer but if I'd done that they would have been eaten. I think it's a raccoon that gets them every year but I was keeping an eye on them this year. I noticed some shells on the ground two days ago, so it was time to harvest. That bucketful will only yield about a cup full of nuts but that's OK. Some for me, some for the wildlife.


I knocked out a few library books while I've been nursing the sore tooth - still a bit tender by the way. When I finished the library books I read the Mickey Thompson book from my library. The book focused on the man rather than going into a lot of detail of his many accomplishments as a racer and a business man. It's a good read with quite a few photographs of his various racing machines. And from the stand point of an old dude contemplating building something for Bonneville, the book's got a good dose of inspiration.


This is one I recommend to every one. Short book comprised of short chapters loosely following the old Paul Harvey format of the rest of the story. 

I've been able to up the book count lately but the pile of magazines is getting higher. Production on the projects has ground to a halt as well. Toothaches & headaches mainly to blame but that has to stop one of these days soon. My magnolia tree in the front yard lost another big chunk. I'll probably just cut the remainder of it down now. I've got a bunch of other grounds keeping chores to deal with as well. I bought a gallon of paint yesterday to touch up the shack a bit before the snow flies. I'd like to get out and do a little camping this fall. I can't remember the last time I spent the whole year sleeping in my own bed.

2 comments:

Kevin Kaluf said...

Loved the Mike Rowe book - did I tell you about it? I know I told Barb to read it. I like that guy.....

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I just happened to stumble upon it at the library. I'm a big fan as well. I learned a few things about him that I didn't know but I thought one of the best stories was about Mel Brooks when he was fighting in WWII.

I think I'm at only 14 books on the year - slacker for sure. I need to read a few from my own library and send them down the road when I finish them. I gave away quite a few technical books a couple of years ago but I've still got a pretty extensive reference library of welding and metal working books, photography and a bunch of reprints I bought when Lindsay was still in business. I hate to think about just tossing some of the old ones out. Even though the information may be dated they still contain a lot of good information, especially from a historical perspective.