Thursday, December 10, 2020

Big Tricycle

 


Beautiful day yesterday, 50 degrees and sunny. Great day for spreading lime as well as most any other outdoor activity you felt like tackling. I didn't want to waste all that beautiful sunshine by spending the day in the shop so I picked off a couple things on the to-do list - dug up the gladiola bulbs and put a new tarp on my portable welder. The tarps and the bungee cords last about two years. I'm thinking I should build some type of shelter for it. Maybe a permanent roof over the top but fold-up sides so I can start it up and run it once in a while without having to wrestle with the tarp. I took some preliminary measurements yesterday. I'll give it some thought and maybe make a few sketches.


That's what it looks like when mounted on the tractor. However, I normally have a blade mounted on the tractor. The frame is 28"x 40", so it's not very big. Depending on what I come up with, shouldn't have much of a material bill.


I got out the body hammer that's missing one end. If you look closely you can see some brass on that end where something was brazed on at one time. The length on the other end is long enough to planish a fairly deep bowl shape but the tip is too big in diameter. If it had a smaller OD or more crown on the face it would work. I did find a piece of stock under the lathe that would work well to make a piece for the missing end. I don't know exactly what the alloy is, but it's tough stuff. It's heat treatable but since I usually only work on aluminum, that might not be necessary. I think making a replacement end is the way to go.

Ophthalmologist appointment this morning. Depending on how that goes, maybe some lathe work, maybe some welding later. 


1 comment:

Austin Best said...

Nice blog you have here thanks for sharing this