Friday, December 4, 2020

Notable Endings

Going along with the recent political post, Walter Williams passed away the other day. He was an economist, author of books, essays and a syndicated column, as well as being a college professor. I used to read his column in the newspaper I subscribed to years ago. I don't know that I ever heard of him being described as a Libertarian but he was definitely a believer in the free market system of Capitalism. If you really want to know the straight skinny on economics, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell and Milton Friedman are the holy trinity.

I received my last Cycle World in the mail earlier this week. They're going to a digital format, so that'll be it for me. They went to a quarterly format a couple of years back and while it was still a very good magazine, Motorcyclist did the same and then there was no more Motorcyclist. So now there is no monthly bike magazine in print form offering the type of general coverage I enjoy reading, at least as far as I'm aware of. 

I subscribed to Cycle World starting just a few years after their premier in 1962. I switched to Cycle later on primarily for Kevin Cameron's "TDC" and Ed Hertfelder's "Duct Tapes". Cycle moved Hertfelder to some dirt bike mag when they quit covering dirt bikes but I stayed with Cycle until they folded up, and before they featured the second half of the SR500 hop-up article I might add. I had some time left on my subscription and it was picked up by Cycle World and have been with them ever since.  

I doubt seriously I'll spend anytime looking at Cycle World online. I understand the economics of their decision but I don't have a smart phone and I spend enough time looking at things online as it is. I've cut back on my magazine subscriptions anyway but maybe one of these days I'll take a trip to Barnes and Noble and browse the magazine section and see what bike magazines are still around. If I can find something I like maybe see about subscribing to it. 

I used to subscribe to Invention and Technology magazine years ago and that one was right in my wheel house but it just disappeared without a word. Likewise, I had a subscription to Garage magazine a few years back and it too went dark. No warning, no refund on the remaining issues of the subscription, nothing. Actually, I had just sent in an article for consideration. Maybe they took one look at my submission and figured if that's what it has come to, might as well turn out the lights.

I started hammering on a piece for the grill shell yesterday with limited success. I did the initial forming with my new roll and it worked slick as snot on a doorknob. The next step, not so much. I annealed the piece after hammering on it a bit and called it a day. I'm going to try some more today and see where I end up. If things don't go well I'll cut the piece in half and weld the two halves back together after getting them to shape. Big learning curve here for the old dog.   

2 comments:

Rich in Ky said...

Coincidentally, I'm right now reading Milton & Rose Friedman's Memoir, "Two Lucky People". I have been a fan of Friedman (Friedfan?) since his Phil Donahue interview days (and me 18 years old). Their love for each other, along with their intellectual relationship, make a great family model.

I've read a lot of Sowell's work, but not as familiar with Williams as I suppose I should be.

Cycle was my study hall reading material of choice. Great writing that influence my own meager attempts over the years.

Following your projects with interest, as always. Staying busy here as well, fixing radios, some old, others not so old. Keeping the old vehicles running and happy. Had to replace capacitors in my farm truck's 'ancient' EEC-IV computer module. Ancient and Computer; two words I'm beginning to hear used together more these days. He who has the old schematics wins. :-)

Very Merry Christmas to you and the family from us in Kentucky.
...Rich

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Good to hear from you - I just went back through the post listings and happened to see your comment. I should probably be more diligent.

I read the Friedman's Free to Choose years ago. Might have to see about reading Two Lucky People. They made quite the couple.

My wife was on the Phil Donahue show years ago. Donahue was interviewing Walter Mondale, if I remember correctly, and she was able to ask Mondale a question. Not exactly 15 minutes of fame but I got a chance to see my wife on television which was pretty cool.

Thanks for the Christmas wishes. It wasn't one of the most memorable or maybe it will be when looking back on it in a few years. No real complaints, though. We too are "Two Lucky People."

Glad you're doing well and to hear from you. Best wishes on the upcoming year.