Thursday, December 31, 2020

The Year of The Dumpster Fire


I'm sure this will come as no surprise to anyone, but 2020 was indeed a total dumpster fire of a year. Starting with the cooties in March continuing through December and it appears into 2021, it's been one damn thing after another. Toilet paper shortage along with a lot of other empty spaces on the store shelves. The "experts" giving advice then flip-flopping on a weekly basis, employees being assigned either essential or non essential roles, flatten the curve, lock us down, open back up, mask up, remote learn, back in the classroom, riots in the streets, wildfires, hurricanes, snowstorms, a volcanic eruption and the explosion in Nashville to close out the year. And of course let's not forget the presidential election that still might not be final even at this late date.

On the home front, the Missus and I came through relatively unscathed. It certainly wasn't a banner year for us but we're troopers. After March we ate one meal outside the house and didn't go anywhere besides that which was pretty much essential - hardware, grocery, feed stores, dentist and doctor. I did a phone interview with my cardiologist which I'm pretty sure was just about worthless. I took my own vital signs and answered all the standard questions. If I owned a stethoscope I could've had the Missus listen to my chest and report that in and the check-up would have been complete.

I made some progress on the projects and the honey-do list this year. Fixed a couple of things on the deck, got a lot of painting done on the shack and the shop, finished the slip roll and got a good start on the jitney, finished the family history project, and I met some nice people this year. Of course most of them were making deliveries for UPS, Fed-Ex or Amazon but it's always good to have at least some contact with the outside world.

Didn't read all that many books this year considering all the time I spent at home. I think the total is 23. 

It looks like 2021 might get worse before it gets better. I think I'm mostly prepared for whatever comes my way as long as I can stay healthy. I'm hoping the cataract surgery improves the eye sight where I can once again use a peep sight - might be a useful skill in the near future. I've got a new diet and exercise plan I've been implementing which is already showing improvements in my strength, blood pressure and blood sugar. As for every thing else? Maintain a low profile, keep my chin down and my hands up. 

I'll close with a little something inspirational:


"A Message From the Hopi Elders"

"You have been telling the people that this is the Eleventh Hour.
Now you must go back and tell the people that this is The Hour.
Here are the things that must be considered:
Where are you living?
What are you doing?
What are your relationships?
Are you in right relation?
Where is your water?
It is time to speak your Truth.
Create your community.
Be good to each other.
And do not look outside yourself for the leader.
This could be a good time!

There is a river flowing now very fast.
It is so great and swift, that there are those who will be afraid.
They will try to hold on to the shore.
They will feel they are being torn apart and will suffer greatly.
Know the river has its destination.
The elders say we must let go of the shore, push off into the middle of the river,
keep our eyes open, and our heads above the water.
And I say, see who is in there with you and celebrate.
At this time in history, we are to take nothing personal. Least of all, ourselves.
For the moment that we do, our spiritual growth and journey comes to a halt.

The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
Banish the word "struggle" from your attitude and your vocabulary.
All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.
We are the ones we have been waiting for!"

- Oraibi, Arizona, Hopi Nation 

Good luck to you all in 2021.

No comments: