Monday, December 21, 2020

I'm Liking It

 


I got the top and bottom of the grill shell joined together. I'll finish weld it inside and out and then dress down the welds and planish out the warpage. I wanted to mount it on the car and see how it was going to look and work before going to a lot of work if it didn't line up like I had it figured. Looks like it's going to be OK - might be a little snug around the top front of the radiator but it should work. 


I need to locate the hole for the filler neck. After all the work up to this point, I don't want to screw this up and get the hole in the wrong spot. I've got a piece of tubing bolted to the front of the engine. I think I'll run a piece up from there to give myself a fixed point to measure from, locate the center of the filler neck and then once I get the grill shell trimmed up I can mark the spot and take a hole saw to it and feel somewhat confidant that it'll be in the right place.

The grill shell looks good from the side view. I'm not exactly sure of the shape of the opening yet but it'll probably be a rectangle with rounded corners - maybe a slight trapezoidal shape to go along with the taper of the shell. I'm going to see what I come up with for the screen before I cut out the opening. The main thing is, I'll have a piece done that's one of the tougher one's I'll face on this project. I think I'll move the motor mounts next and then make the firewall. After that, the dash hood. I'll be layed* up for most of January so progress will come to a halt for a bit but I'm hoping to see this thing move under its own power next year.

*Layed is an archaic spelling replaced by laid. Personally, layed makes more sense to me and I'll continue using it.

No comments: