Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Ain't That The Truth!

 

From Here

There's certainly more than a little bit of truth to that. Shortly after my heart attack I had to have an ultrasound test. Prior to the test I had already read several books about heart disease and how it was possible to reverse the process with diet and exercise. Since the lady administering the test would see first-hand what was happening inside cardiac patients, I figured she'd be a good one to ask if it was in fact true that you could arrest and even reverse the effects of heart disease. Her response? "We don't really do that here."

I mentioned recently having read a couple of books by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, one about Super Immunity and one about ending diabetes. I don't have any definitive proof that I'm currently building any super immunity by following his diet program but I can definitely state that it's had a tremendous effect on lowering my blood sugar level. I haven't been exercising due to the cataract surgery but I'll be able to start up again soon. That will probably help keep the numbers where they should be, will contribute to a bit more weight loss and my overall general health. I don't take much medication now but I'm thinking I should be able to quit taking all of it in another couple of months except maybe a baby aspirin daily. Dr. Fuhrman has a book on heart disease that's available at the local library that I plan on reading as soon as I finish a couple off my own shelves. 

I would imagine most people don't want to eat the "nutritarian" diet Dr. Fuhrman recommends and wouldn't even if their life depends on it, which ironically enough, it does. I personally would like to be given the option of choosing diet and exercise rather than medication when consulting with my physician. The information has been around for quite some time. Absolutely no reason for doctors not to make this information available to their patients. The family doctor I went to prior to my heart attack when discussing my cholesterol numbers told me don't eat the skin on the fried chicken. He could have just as easily told me to spit the damn chicken out and eat more veggies. That might have set me on the right track to not have an infarto cardiaco.

Remember, your body's a temple. Unfortunately for me, temples aren't built from cheap sandwich cookies and pork tenderloins or mine would be a dandy. But beans and greens? They will do it.