Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Whip It - Whip It Good!

 


Whip it - into shape! And that's exactly what I've been doing the last few days. This is the kind of progress I really like to see. Not too much time, but yet, big results. Exhibit A:


Rolled up the second sheet for the jitney cab. Went pretty much lickety-split. The new roller I made works well but I get a bit of deflection of the rolls, so the middle of the sheet doesn't roll quite the same radius as the ends. The cab sheets were full width and the aluminum is pretty springy but overall I'm quite pleased with how it works. If the pipe rollers were a true schedule 40 instead of whatever odd ball size I ended up with, that would have been better but for working on cars and bikes it should serve me well.


I dug out the print for the jitney so I could see what I need for the rear of the frame. It's been a while since I did the frame layout and I thought I remembered the rear of the frame being longer. The pattern is only 23 inches long so I don't need to buy any tubing. I've got material on hand to make both of the rails by cutting out the side plates and bending up the top and bottom strips. I've already got those cut to width, I'll just have to cut them to length, bend them and then weld every thing together. The rear of the pattern is 1-1/2" in diameter. I'll weld a piece of roll bar tube between the two rails as a stretcher. Eventually, I'll make the boat tail and then cover the open area around the tail with a sheet that comes to the edge of the frame rails.

Don't know what I'll get done today. We've got snow and wind, so I might have to get the old Allis out. I put it on the charger the other day so it should fire up, but if not, I'll have some fiddlin' to do along with some shoveling. I would like to get some more done on the car - have to see how the old back holds up from shoveling. 

No comments: