Friday, January 22, 2021

Jitney Dash Hood

 


A little bit of a warm up yesterday but it's not going to last. I took advantage of the warmer temperatures to make some progress on the jitney. Since my bead roller and shear are in the back part of the shop that isn't heated, figured it would be a good time to take care of a couple of things that needed to be done back there. I rolled the offset/joggle on the remaining edge of the grill shell and knocked the tab loose that didn't line up quite right. I also filed a slight slot in the bolt holes to make it easier to bolt up as well as deburring them.

After I got that done I drilled holes in the firewall for some Clecos. I was planning on working on the dash hood so I needed to get the clamps out of the way. I already had a pattern made up for the dash hood but I double checked everything, made a couple of small changes and then cut out the sheet. I'm planning on rolling up a curved edge along the top to deflect the wind so I annealed that section. I doubt that edge actually does much to deflect the wind but a car without it just doesn't look proper to my eye.

Since I had to wait until the sheet cooled off, I called it a day but I'm hoping to get that first piece of the dash hood fit-up today. I also got a text from the boss at the side gig and he needs parts made up. These are different than the last batch I made. I've got patterns already but no material so I'll pick some up today and get started on them either this weekend or next week. But I think the first piece of the dash hood is going to have priority.

2 comments:

Surly said...

Not much leg room?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Like most of these old racers or a sprint car, your feet straddle the transmission and the floorboards extend below the frame if needed. I bolted on a piece of scrap plywood where the seat will be and I should be OK. The back of the cab will be about two feet back of the framework that supports the dash hood. I'm planning on making the back of the cab next up. Should know then about leg room as well as how to mount steering, throttle and brake. Planning on automatic trans so no clutch pedal needed.