Monday, January 11, 2021

Backyard Farming

 


The current Hoosier Farmer newsletter has an article featuring the backyard flock of chickens the Indiana First Lady keeps at the governor's residence. She built the coop this past year with some help from friends. She also has a vegetable garden and a beehive. The article mentioned she has one Sapphire Splash chicken as in the photo. I'd never heard of that breed which is why I looked it up. They also mentioned a resource for small flock poultry fanciers like my self. You can access it here.

I took care of my girls yesterday - fresh straw in the nesting boxes, along with enough food and water to last a week so I won't have to do any more than gather eggs this week.

I've been giving some thought to the garden. Since it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at home again this year, might not be a bad idea to expand the garden a bit. I did find a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) that's only a couple of miles away from me. I need to get some more info as to cost and what you get for your money, but I like that idea. Food prices have been going up and there have been shortages. I went to the grocery last week and there wasn't any bagged salad. I talked to one of the workers there and he said the store had been notified they weren't going to be receiving any salad and he had no idea when they would be getting any. Might be time to look into a greenhouse, window box or a grow light set-up down the basement. If I plant some lettuce down the basement, I won't have to worry about the bunnies getting it.  CSA locater here.

Lots of uncertainty these days. Lots of hungry people as well. If you haven't been preparing for hard times, I wouldn't wait any longer.

No comments: