Saturday, January 2, 2021

Welcome 2021

 


Well the new year started off with an ice storm yesterday. Hope it's not an omen of what's to come this year. 

The power blinked on and off several times and went out once long enough for the generator to kick on. I was planning on doing a bit of shop work but gave up on that with the uncertainty of the power. One of my friends from the high school I traveled to Europe with posted a reminder on social media about filling the bathtub and keeping the house warm and toasty. Someone asked why fill the bathtub? Obviously not someone having any experience living in the country who has had to deal with power outages. We had a big storm quite a few years back and were without power for 4-5 days. I filled the bathtub prior to losing power and we always keep some bottled water on hand anyway - both drinking water for us and the animals. We were just about out of water for flushing when Surly and one of his buddies showed up with some water. We still had the water heater I could have tapped into but I was at least prepared for a week. 

I've got a couple of cases of bottled water and three five gallon jugs of drinking water on hand along with the generator, so I should be good. I don't want to be totally reliant on the generator and I do have the outside well with the pitcher pump I drove a couple of years, but now is a good time to be thinking of how well you're prepared. Experiencing Mother Nature's wrath is bad, of course, but I read the other day of someone sabotaging the natural gas supply in Colorado. So who knows?

I've been watching some videos by Jeremiah Babe posted at Running 'Cause I Can't Fly2. He's been assessing the current political and financial status and been offering advice on how to prepare for the upcoming events as he sees them. He's been dealing mostly with the financial aspects but might be worth your while to take a gander at a couple of them. Forewarned is forearmed and all that. 

Back in the shop today. As to the photo, Rocky's birthday was yesterday.

No comments: