Wednesday, September 15, 2021

 


I didn't get anything done in the shop yesterday - no bicycle ride either. I received a text Monday from FedEx that an order I've been waiting for was to be delivered on Tuesday that required my signature. Since the item is heavy, I figured I'd stick around the shack to sign for it and take it out to the barn right away, especially since I've had some less than stellar experiences with FedEx. According to the text, the delivery was sometime before 8:00 - even worse than waiting for the cable guy. They usually show up before 5:00 at least. As I'm sure you've already surmised, FedEx never showed. I'm going out on the bike this morning and working in the shop later. It's supposed to be a nice day. Yesterday the temps were back up into the high 80s, so I didn't feel too bad staying in the house catching up on the bills and my reading. 

I did order a shifter for the jitney while laying around. It's a Gennie shifter. It should be here within a few days but the mounting kit won't ship until the end of the month. Since I've got the front end mostly completed, I'm starting to work my way back. I needed to locate the shifter to be sure the seat will clear it and start fitting the firewall, floor, dash and steering. There are several options for the shift lever from Gennie but I'm planning on making my own. I've got a Bakelite knob ordered that should look period correct.

I got the coupler for the steering box and shaft tacked together - looks like it runs pretty true. Not sure what my next step is on that. In the mean time I'm going to finish the alternator mount and maybe start on the exhaust system. Since I've got the spare motor on the stand, I can work on the exhaust with the header plates I bought a while back.


Since the holes in the plates are rectangular and the tubing is round, I'm going to have to play around with coming up with a good way to get a nice fit while getting the tubes to bend down as they leave the header plates to clear the tubes on the intake manifold. It's nice that I have the spare motor to use.

I still need to finish weld the frame on the Rickati along with a host of other things. Hot weather is supposed to return after a couple of days. Not looking forward to that.

 

No comments: