Thursday, September 9, 2021

Riding With The King

 


---------------------------------------

Yvon Duhamel passed away a few weeks back. I was unaware of that until I finally got around to opening up my e-mail from Cycle World. Kevin Cameron wrote a nice article about Duhamel. In addition to being a world class motorcycle racer, he was also top notch as a racer on snow machines.


When I was racing my Sprint in vintage events, my guy came in fourth in the AHRMA championship. The next year my bike qualified for the front row at Daytona due to the previous year's finish. The first three qualifiers were all riding for Team Obsolete if I remember correctly, with Duhamel being one of the riders. Pretty fast company, especially since my Sprint was a 350 competing in the 500 Premier class. RIP Monsieur Duhamel.  

-----------------------------------------
 


It seems the majority of slant-six motors had the alternator mounted high on the right side, at least from most of the photos I've seen. However, I want to mount mine like in the above photo. 


I dug my alternator out of the stack of parts, bolted the bracket I cleaned up the other day onto the motor on the stand and made a pattern for the second bracket I need. The one hole I'll need to use has a broken bolt in it on the spare motor. I'll have to remove that first and then I can accurately locate the hole that will support the alternator. I'm planning on working on that today after my bicycle ride and maybe a motorcycle ride as well. Great weather for two-wheeling!

3 comments:

Bevin said...

Bob Work, Duhamel's tuner also recently passed away. Bob tuned for Trev Deeley and Yamaha Motors Canada. Bob was the tuner for Steve Baker's winning ride in the World Championship Formula 750 in 1977, he was also instrumental in the development of Yamaha's infamous TZ750 flat tracker.
Regards Bevin

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks for the input.

I saw Roberts on the re-created TZ750 at Indy a few years back. Those 2 strokes were fun to watch on the road courses as well.

Bevin said...

Steve Baker fired one up at a vintage motorcycle show in 2018, loud doesn't describe it! Bevin