Wednesday, September 29, 2021

The Choppy Right Ended His Night!

 


I got a message from Bazooka Joe a couple of nights ago thanking me for working on a choppy right hand with him. Because Joe's tall, it's a good punch for him for when a shorter fighter tries to close the gap, especially since Joe has a lot of power in the right hand. That was the punch that did it for him.



A couple of shots of the finished steering wheel to quick disconnect adaptor. I'm not really a machinist but I've done enough on the lathe and mill to know my way around as long as you're not in a hurry. Pretty happy with how this one turned out.


I did run into a couple of snags. I couldn't get the center drill or the countersink close enough to the piece without running into interference with the chuck and the tapered part of the piece. I made an extension with the center drill on one end and the countersink on the other. It's made from 1/2" cold rolled that I put in a collet on the lathe to drill and ream the end for the countersink and then flipped it around and drilled to depth with a slightly smaller drill bit and then used the actual center drill to finish drilling it out to size. I drilled and tapped both ends for 8-32 set screws and I was in business. I should have made something like this years ago - not the first time I've run into this problem.

When getting the spacer head set up I zeroed the center and then moved it over 7/8" to get it on the proper bolt circle diameter. Since there's some slack in the table and I don't have readouts on the mill, I was going to mount a dial indicator to measure the movement so I'd be sure to get back to my zero after milling the clearance slots but the plunger on my dial indicator wouldn't move freely. I took it apart and gave it a little lube, which helped a little but I think it might have gotten dropped and the plunger got bent a wee bit. It's not a real expensive one, so I think it's time to get a new one and see what else I need and place an order.

Now that the quick disconnect is finished, time to move on. Not sure what's next but no shortage of things to do.

No comments: