Thursday, September 2, 2021

On The Level

 



I had to move the jitney in order to get the Jeep in the shop last week. After moving it back in I needed to get it leveled up again in order to set the angle of the engine and trans. I consulted my brother from a different mother and he gave me a short run down on power transmission through driveshafts. He said all the Chevys have a 3 degree angle so I figured that would be good for my rig as well. He recommended using a digital angle finder, which I didn't have, so I bought this little cutie. I checked it against my carpenters level and my analog angle finder and it seems to be right on the money. Probably more so. Plus, it's a lot easier to read and it's got a magnet in it to hold it in the vertical position which my other one doesn't have. $14.00 to the door - hard to beat.


I made some more pieces for the side hustle. The boss just asked me for these a few days ago but I've got some others I need to get to work on also. 


This rig is being raffled off on Facebook. I might buy a ticket for this one. This and a small trailer would take care of most of my needs.


Hyundai has a new little pickup coming out for2022 - the Santa Cruz. If it had only two doors the bed would be long enough to be useful - likewise the new Jeep pickup. I was real happy with my little  Hyundai Veloster. Fun little car to drive, decent mileage and had almost as much cargo space as the little four door pickup trucks. I had an '89 two-door Dodge Dakota I bought new. 4 cyl, 5 speed manual and an 8 foot bed. The engine was a little on the gutless side. I drove it down to Daytona a couple of times with my bike in the back and had to downshift to 4th even if I had a decent head of steam up when I encountered some of the hills in Tennessee and Georgia. But around here on the prairie, it was just about a perfect vehicle for my usage. I was surprised when all the small trucks went away. It's good that they're coming back around - be nice if they were a little more practical. Especially for a guy like me who uses a truck to haul things.

I'm about set for my big bike ride this weekend. I checked my exercise log and I've put in 670 miles since April. I'm thinking that should have me ready for the 62 miler. I'll find out in a few days. I've already made an appointment with the massage therapist a couple of days after the ride. 

No comments: