Tuesday, September 7, 2021

"There's A Hole In The Bucket, Dear Liza"


When I got home from the bike ride on Saturday, Surly was there with one of the grandsons loading up their dirt bike. Surly had brought down a nice present for me as well as the pot in the photo that needed to be repaired. I welded it up yesterday but it was a bit more of a struggle than it should have been. I have 1/16" filler rod but that's  actually too thick to weld up a thin pot. I thought I had some .035" MIG wire which would have been ideal but couldn't find it. I should have looked a little harder - I found it right after welding  up the pot. Anyway, it's done and it doesn't leak.


In addition to doing some more brush busting on Monday, which gave me a pretty good workout which made up for me doing nothing at all on Sunday, I sandblasted and painted a couple of parts for the jitney motor. The part on the left is an alternator mount I took off the spare motor I ended up with when I bought the transmission. This piece bolts directly to the front of the block and supports the rear of the alternator. I don't have the other part. I believe it bolts to the water pump. I'll have to see what it's supposed to look like and find or make one. I've got an alternator so I'll be able to rig something up since I know a definite starting point.

The part on the right is the timing indicator. It bolts to a stud on the timing cover. However, my timing cover doesn't have that. I'm not sure what my motor had for setting the timing but I think the easiest solution is to pull the timing cover off the spare motor and use it. It'll be a while before I need these parts but I want to be able to trial fit everything before final assembly of the engine.

I clamped the bracket for the steering box to the frame and measured up the length for the drag link. I ordered the sleeve for the drag link, the coupler to hook the steering shaft to the steering box, a Heim joint to support the shaft, and the rear wheels. Tires will come next month - big ticket items are one Social Security check at a time.

I need to design the rear crossmember. I looked at it a bit yesterday to start the wheels turning but nothing jumped out at me. I've got plenty to keep me busy while I'm mulling that over, however.

2 comments:

Surly said...

When I worked at the mold shop we made cores out of small wires. We would take the wire and chuck it in a cordless drill and spin it on a belt sander. Point up so the wire is parallel to the belt and sand it to size. Contamination notwithstanding, you could use this technique to reduce the size of a filler rod. Should work good considering you probably didn't need much more than a half inch of filler. Thanks for fixing the pot.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Thanks for the tip. I had a 30# spool at the high school that I kept on top of the TIG welder and just cut off a length whenever they brought something in from the cafeteria. I need to find someone who uses stainless MIG wire. The piece they pull out of the gun when changing spools would probably last my lifetime.