Sunday, September 26, 2021

Bazooka Time & More

 


Dashboard on a '27 Caddy - gorgeous no doubt - but check out the shifter knob. Just like the one I got for the jitney.


The grill insert on this old Maserati is what I'm looking for on the jitney - be nice if I could find a similar item in brass. Both photos from here.

I mowed the front yard on Thursday evening and the mower worked just fine. I went out to mow the back yard on Friday and nothing, not so much as a click. I put the jumper cables from the battery directly to the starter to by pass all the electrical stuff but nothing. Since the battery appeared completely dead, I put the charger on it but it wouldn't take a charge. I put a new battery in it Saturday morning and it's all good once again. I found it strange that it died without any warning. It's not unusual for those small lawn and garden batteries to quit taking a charge but rare that they just die.


While mowing the back I noticed the seed pods on the Big Leaf Magnolia were ripe and opening up. I'd like to get a couple of the seeds to sprout and then get them planted. They're a cool looking tree.


The hub on the jitney steering wheel had a chunk of something inside it when I got it. I knocked it out of there and saw that the hole in the hub is tapered. I measured the two diameters and the length, did a little trig and came up with a number and double checked the angle with a protractor. It worked out to 2 degrees so I made a practice piece to check the angle and the fit. The angle was correct right off the bat but I had to take a few tickle cuts to come up with the correct length. I've  got a piece of stock that's about the right size to make the adaptor. I gave it some thought yesterday on how to chuck it and figure out my sequence of operations. I think I've got it figured out - I'll know soon enough. 

The quick disconnect hub should be here on Wednesday. I also ordered my rear tires - they're on back order until the end of November. They require tubes, so I'm going to check with the tire shop about the availability of those. I don't want to wait until November to find out I'll have to wait on tubes. I'll get a pair of those and have them on hand for when the tires show up, hopefully.


It was a big week for boxing. PBS had a documentary about Mohammed Ali that was nicely done. The man was no saint but he was one helluva boxer. He fought some of the best and the three bouts with Frazier were some of the best fights of all time. 

The movie Raging Bull was on the television this past week as well. I'd never seen the movie even though it's been around for a long time. I was thinking it was more a boxing movie rather than the bio of the psychotic LaMotta. Glad I watched it but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

And finally, Bazooka Joe fought and won last night out in Iowa. 2nd round KO. I'm real happy for him. Wish I could have been there to see it. 

No comments: