Friday, October 1, 2021

Keyway

 


I cut the keyway in the adapter for the jitney steering wheel. The keyway in the hub on the wheel follows the 2 degree taper. If I chucked the adapter at 90 degrees to the axis of the end mill, I'd end up with a keyway that would be deeper on the bottom than on the top. Making a tapered key is no problem but I wouldn't be able to drive it in once the adapter is mated to the quick disconnect. I made a quickie fixture to hold the adapter at a 2 degree angle so the keyway would be the same depth the length of the two parts. 

The fixture consists of a handle I use for some bearing and oil seal drivers along with a couple of metal working dollies. I drilled and tapped the piece I used to check the bolt circle diameter of the disconnect and threaded it onto the handle. I then cut the top surface at the two degree angle after making sure the bolt holes were properly oriented. I then bolted the adapter to it and cut the keyway per usual practice.

-----------------------------------------------------

I had to take the Missus back to one of her several health providers yesterday morning. I stopped at the tire shop on the way home and checked on the availability of tubes. He assured me tubes shouldn't be a problem but he did say he was having trouble getting some tires. Not totally reassuring but I've always had good service there, so I'll respect his judgement.

Did a few other things around the shack the last couple of days - met with a guy who's going to replace a power pole in the back yard, sharpened the mower blades and mowed the front yard, and baked an apple pie. I need the Missus to show me how to make a pie crust from scratch. The store bought crusts I've used for the two pies I've made just can't compare to what she makes. The apple filling is first rate, however. I really should have made some cider this year since I had a bumper crop of apples. I still might try my hand at making a cobbler or apple slices. 

2 comments:

Surly said...

Why didn't you use a woodruff key?

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The keyway in the hub is 3/16" wide and 3/16" deep. I wasn't sure how much area I would have in contact with the adapter with a woodruff key. By cutting the keyway in the adapter following the taper, it was easy enough to fit a rectangular key. Besides, I need to do these kind of exercises once in a while to keep my skills up and if I couldn't figure it out, I've got a good machinist on speed-dial.