Saturday, October 23, 2021

Good News

With all the bad and/or idiotic things in the news these days, I've got some good things going on here on the home front. I received a missive from a cousin of mine the other day. Seems she and her husband were planning on a trip to the great Commonwealth of Kentucky and wanted some info on where our grandparents were originally from. I called her and we had a nice catch-up chat and I filled her in on the short version of the story. Since they were heading to another destination farther east to meet some of the husband's relatives, I steered her towards Claudia Sander's Dinner House in Shelbyville. 

Claudia was the Colonel's wife. The Missus and I went to her original location years ago which was just a big two-story house that later burned down. We also have visited the new location a couple of times. The food is just like Grandma used to make. I'm not a big fan of cooked spinach but the creamed spinach is probably the best anywhere. The cousin sent me a photo of her lunch and on my recommendation and in memory of her father, she ordered the spinach. Don't know if she had any dessert, but if she didn't, that was a mistake. I'm more than a little bit jealous now. I'm going to have to get down that way next year come hell or high water.



 That's good eatin' right there.

I got a call from my brother yesterday. He got me a couple of pieces of walnut for the jitney dash sent out. They're already planed to thickness and cut to width. He sent me two in case I screw one up. Can't beat that.


I took a closer look at the gauges and switches for the dash yesterday. The on/off switch is a big, heavy duty thing. The large diameter on the bottom is 2-3/4" so I needed to change my layout on the dash a bit.


The left side is as the original layout, the right side moved around a bit to accommodate the large diameter  of the ignition cut-off. The three small circles represent the starter button, choke cable and provision for another switch for lights, an accessory or indicator light. I'm going to cut all the proper holes in this one to see how I like the layout prior to cutting on the walnut piece. I might even put some stain on the luan to darken it up to see how the dark wood and the white face gauges get along.

I also mixed up some film developer. I've got a roll of film in one of my old twin lenses that still has a couple of shots left on it. However, it's been in the camera so long I can't remember the film speed. It's either 100 or 400. While black & white film has some latitude with proper exposure, a couple of stops is asking a lot.  Not exactly the Zone System as used by Ansel Adams. I'll shoot up the last couple of frames on the roll and get it developed and then load up some fresh film in one of the cameras. The digital stuff like I shoot on here is handy but I like B&W and print making.


No comments: