Thursday, October 14, 2021

Making Whoopee


Not making any whoopee but I did make it to level 1000 on my favorite time-waster.


I was hoping I would go up to a platinum grandmaster or something when I hit level 1000. I moved from the bronze and silver to the gold grandmaster fairly quickly but I've been on it for what seems like forever. I guess there is no platinum or I'll have to play a million games to get there. I'm thinking that's not going to happen. I need to get back to reading more books and exercise more rather than spending so much time on the computer. I've pretty well weaned myself off social media but I still read quite a few blogs, mostly for financial, covid and political updates and opinions. 


I spent a little time polishing up the spokes on the jitney steering wheel. That's a little bit of getting the cart before the horse perhaps but I wanted to see how it was going to clean up. I ordered a u-joint for the steering shaft along with another piece of shafting. When that comes in I should have everything I need to hook the steering up. I also ordered some parts and materials for the rear radius rods. I've got some design/engineering work to do on the steering. I'm hoping to have it figured out by the time the parts all show up.


I received another update from my buddy on the Rickati motor. He took some vacation time, so he's spending some of it working on my motor. I made the gear gazer show casing the bevel gears years ago when I worked at the vocational school. We got a CNC mill just before they closed the machine tool program down. I taught myself how to program the machine, I also took a night school CAD class. It became painfully obvious that figuring out where two intersecting arcs meet to four decimal places using geometry and trig longhand was a fool's errand. There've been plenty of times I wished I still had access to that mill. However, on the jitney era machines, they never had any of the fancy CAD or CNC stuff at their disposal. I'll be happy if my machine work comes close to comparing with what they used to turn out.

I'm taking the Missus for another doctor's visit today. That'll take up a good portion of the day but I've started on another book. My buddy Kevin is going to be real disappointed with my book count this year. 


 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My buddy Jeff is going to be even more disappointed in my book count this year. I've been WAY too busy to read, and when I have time, I fall asleep. There's always 2022.

Surly said...

I can't wait to tear that Ducati engine apart and put a proper CDI ignition on it!

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Unknown: 2022 it is then - We'll both have to give up the recliners, though.

Surly: As soon as the bike gets assembled, I'll run it over to your house.