Friday, October 8, 2021

Every Day A Little Something

 


Two very complimentary voices on an Orbison classic. Just glad I've got nothing to cry about. I have been doing some bitchin' about the current state of affairs but as the Missus keeps reminding me, just give it up since you can't change it. 


I went to the Tractor Supply yesterday to get some new mower blades - which they didn't have by the way - but they did have a steering wheel spinner. I didn't figure it would fit real well due to the shape of my wheel but it's a Bakelite spinner which is in keeping with the look. The white pattern I had already cut out thinking I'd make my own. Instead, I'll just cut the pattern out of a sheet of stainless and weld the pin in. I'll have to make a new clamping piece for the bottom as well but that's all part of the fun. The parts to get started hooking up the steering are due today.


I did a little research on mounting the rear end in the jitney. I'm leaning towards the more traditional radius rod to match the front. The pattern above will weld to the differential and the square section at the top left corner represents the spring perch. Since the radius rods will be installed at an angle, I'm not sure a panhard rod will be required. However, an additional set of rods off the top of the differential at an angle to the frame rails would insure the side to side play would not be an issue and take the pressure off the spring perches as far as wanting to pivot off the 3 degree angle needed to match the angle of the transmission necessary for good performance of the drive shaft. 

I could also go with a ladder bar set-up. That way I wouldn't need the other two top bars but I would need a panhard bar or a track locator to keep things aligned. There's a similar set-up that uses the old GM pickup truck parts. The differential is bolted on top of the long arms that run to a crossmember up front at an angle. I don't know what the current NASCAR cars run but that's the set-up they used along with coil springs and jack screws for many years. Those cars handled well on both the ovals and the road courses.

I'm going to think on things a bit more and then dive in



No comments: