Wednesday, October 20, 2021

New Word

 

From Here



débrouillard(e): noun [dey-broo-yar]

A resourceful problem solver, self-reliant yet trusted by others to create solutions through action and ingenuity, particularly under difficult circumstances.


I learned a new word the other day - debrouillard. I'd like to think I'm a pretty resourceful , self-reliant problem solver at least as far as things go in the welding and related fields. I don't know that others would want to place their trust in me in any other types of situations but I'm good with that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a phone call from my older brother yesterday. He saw my post about the dash for the jitney and let me know he's got some walnut that would be just jim-dandy for that. He's going to check the size of the boards he has and get back to me. I told him I needed one about 12" wide but after talking to him I went out to the shop and measured it exactly and it's only 10-1/4". I checked with my cousin and he's got a planer I can use to clean it up and reduce the thickness to what I want. I had just gotten home from the lumber yard when he called and had unloaded a piece of birch plywood I had bought. The walnut would be much nicer and I can always take the plywood back or keep it for another project.



Besides the lumber yard, I went to Tractor Supply to get some new mower blades. While walking through the parking lot I came across the above. Nice of them to give you fair warning.



My gauges and ignition parts came yesterday. The switch is larger than I thought it would be but it's heavy duty. Now that I've got all the parts, I'll get them layed out and fit-up on the temporary dash and see how they're going to look. The white faces would definitely look good with a walnut dash.

I managed to screw up my chest again. I've been dealing with this on and off for at least ten years. I got caught in the rain last week while mowing and jogged from the barn to the garage and from the garage to the shop and then from the shop to the house. No pain or issue when I was running but about two hours later I started to feel it and it's been aggravating me ever since to some degree. I've been to several doctors and physical therapy but it's never been properly diagnosed or remedied. It usually takes a week or two to settle back down as long as I avoid certain things - the kind of things I'm normally doing, of course. That'll slow me down for a bit but I'll keep pecking away at some of the light duty ones.



Tonight's the Hunter's Moon rather than the Harvest Moon but harvest is in full swing around here. I imagine the farmer will be showing up around here in the next week or so, signifying that winter is just around the corner. The older I get the more I dread it and the faster it comes around. As long as I'm around to see the changing of the seasons, I guess I don't have all that much to complain about.

No comments: