Saturday, October 16, 2021

The Triplets of Bellville

 


I watched the Triplets of Bellville yesterday - I hadn't seen it in at least five years and I was thinking I needed something bicycling oriented beside Breaking Away. The Triplets of Belleville is probably one of the best animated films I've ever seen. The above trailer has Django Reinhardt style guitar work and will have humming along to it later. Not really an ear worm, unless you speak French. Then it might get to you. You can watch the whole thing on You Tube if you want to spend roughly 81 minutes watching an adult cartoon. Most entertaining.


Parts and materials came in yesterday for both the rear radius rods and the steering. 


I worked on making a pattern for the dash after taking the Missus to the doctor on Tuesday. I started with a piece of cardboard to get the shape and then transferred it to a piece of luan. My original thought was to make a piece I could fasten the steering parts to and make the layout for the gauges and switches. When I'm happy with that, transfer the layout to a piece of engine turned aluminum. However, there's no reason I couldn't go with a wooden dash. Get a piece of nice looking 3/8" plywood with a couple of coats of spar varnish on it. I'll see how the luan looks after I get the steering connected and the gauges layed out. Whether I go with wood or aluminum, I need to add a couple of curved horns on the bottom corners.

Progress is slow but it's still progress.

1 comment:

tvi said...

Hey “Bob”
The wooden dash would look excellent and be period correct. What about the engine turned plates as gauge cluster mountings on both sides of the wheel? That seems like right in the wheelhouse of that thing.
Talk to you soon,
TVI