Friday, March 18, 2022

Corned Beef, Gargoyles & Whiskey In The Jar


Broke training yesterday like I always do on St. Patrick's Day. On my way home from the meat market I saw an old lady out by the road at the end of her driveway. I didn't think much about it until she flagged me down. I rolled the window down and she asked me to call her cell phone. She had been working in the yard, laid it down and couldn't find it. She gave me the number and we found it when it started ringing. She seems like a nice old bird - maybe 80 but pretty spry. She's one of those who puts her hand on your arm when she's talking to you. She gave me the condensed version of her life story while my corned beef was getting cold in the truck but I enjoyed the conversation and was glad I could help.


I got some pieces cut out that will get welded to the frame for the transmission mount to bolt to. Had I been a little more ambitious, I could have gotten them tacked together and fit to the frame. However, I did get another bike ride in and got a bit more work done in the basement. Got a few things tossed out. Still got a ways to go until it's ready to occupy for a few days at a time in an emergency but it'll happen. 


The chain for the steering on the jitney showed up yesterday. I ordered some goggles at the same time. Since I had my cataract surgery, I don't need glasses for driving but I need eye protection and the law requires you to have eye protection with you when riding your motorcycle. These will work with the open face helmet I bought last year. Might be a little over-kill for riding around town but they're hard to beat if you get caught out in the rain or riding next to a freshly worked farm field on a day like Wednesday with gusts blowing that sandy loam into your face. These have the studs for tear-offs - that really would be over-kill, though.


The local radio station was playing some Irish music and Irish performers yesterday and they featured Irish Rockers Thin Lizzy in their Then & Again segment - the same song done by two different performers. Not exactly a traditional rendition of the ballad, but that's why I listen to that station. 

3 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

that's a pretty good song.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Album rock was a thing when Jailbreak came out in '76 and I became a fan of Thin Lizzie. My musical tastes have evolved over the years, so I don't listen to much hard rock anymore but Thin Lizzie and Rory Gallagher do Ireland proud.

Kevin Kaluf said...

You didn't mention the nice gentleman you met while getting your St. Patty's Day meal. :-) I'll get started on trying to assemble some troops for a reunion breakfast.