Sunday, April 16, 2023

Catching Up


Since it's been a couple of days, I'll start off with Thursday. I needed to get a board planed down for a job here on the shack, so I took that to TVI's place and he hooked me up. Left for the fights in Indy later in the afternoon. That was a good news/bad news story. The Superheavy weight became the state champion in his division. Since he's not an open class fighter, he won't be going to the nationals but he fought well and deserved the win. He's been dealing with some personal problems and working a full time and a part time gig, so his training time has been limited. We're all real proud of him and his performance.

The 156 pounder that I took to Detroit, didn't fare as well, unfortunately. His opponent was one of the toughest guys I've seen in a long time. He controlled the bout from the opening bell, and our guy was always trying to even things up, just couldn't make it happen. The guy controlled the outside and had an edge on the in-fighting. Our guy made a fight of it but no way he was going to come out on top. It definitely was a fan favorite - old school barn burner. Our guy did win an award prior to the start of the bouts. He was honored with the Colin "Champ" Chaney award. The award recognizes "the Golden Gloves participant whose attitude best reflects the determination and will of 'Champ' Chaney". Nice kid, glad he was recognized by the franchise, coaches and boxers.

I got home about 1:30 Friday morning, so slept a little later than I normally do. Felt a little sluggish, even with the later start. Checked the to-do list and picked an easy one off and got a good start on another, plus a bit of clean up around the place. Saturday morning I did 10 miles with my saddle pal, Coach Jen. Really good morning for a bike ride. Later I went to Costco with her. We joke about our relationship, seeing as how I'm 30 years her senior. I told her at Costco we go one some strange dates - boxing matches and grocery stores. Not so strange really, I guess, since I've known her for 25 years. 

Speaking of which, she picked up an info sheet at the Gloves the other night about becoming an official with the Indiana Golden Gloves franchise. She said she's been thinking about becoming a judge for a while - thought it would be a good idea for me as well. The franchise needs people in all the positions, judges, referees, timekeepers, etc. Most of the people currently working the events are somewhere around my age. So I wouldn't be much of an improvement, except I seem to be in better shape than many of them. They're losing several of the main cogs in the wheel after this tournament is over, and they're going to be sorely missed. They're having a clinic in a couple weeks, so Shop Teacher Bob might be adding boxing judge to his resume. Or as I like to joke, I no longer need a resume, now I'm padding my obituary.

My parts arrived from Speedway yesterday, so I'll get back on getting the carb linkage ship-shape. We've got some crappy weather coming in, chance of snow showers tomorrow. It won't be so cold that I can't work in the shop, though. Cuzzin Ricky and I are meeting for breakfast this week for a planning session on our travel plans. It'll be good to get back out on the road again.

No comments: