Thursday, May 28, 2020

Photo Frame



I've been working on another picture frame. This one's from recycled material like the last one was. The outside part is from an old cast iron floor register. It had a bunch of paint on it and it was cracked through in one spot. I sandblasted the paint off and put a bit of weld on the back side. The crack was almost invisible but it allowed the frame to twist - no twist now. The inner frame is made from a piece of decking used on low-boy trailers one of my students at the college gave me. I'm not sure exactly what type of wood it is. It looks like mahogany but is harder. I had to bevel the outer edges at a 20 degree angle to match the angle of the inner edges of the cast iron frame and route a relief around the underside for the glass and the photo and then cut the miters. I think it came out pretty nice. I've got a couple of negatives of the Missus from way back I'm going to make prints from. I'll decide which one I'll use after I get them printed up. I was planning on doing that last evening but I had a tooth ache that was taking all the fun out of doing anything.

Nothing else much of interest going on around here presently. Cutting grass, some garden stuff and household chores. I'll be getting back on one project or another today, however. Not sure what yet, but I'll get moving shortly.

No comments: