Sunday, May 31, 2020

Welding Cart



Surly built himself a new workbench and like most homeowners, ran out of room in the garage. Doesn't take long when you've got several motorcycles, bicycles, tools, etc. He knew I was looking to get a cart for my new welding machine, so he donated this to the cause. I picked it up Friday and turned it into a welding cart on Saturday.


Didn't take much work to get the job done. I drilled out the rivets that held the lid on, removed the front lock and cut out the side where the torch and ground cable exit the machine. I flipped the handle and moved it up to the top holes after I touched up the paint where I made the cuts. Once the college gets up and running again, I'll pick up another MIG reel and mount that on the side where the cables are so I can wrap up the TIG torch properly.


I've got a drawer in my other roll-away box that has a bunch of welding stuff and I've got some more sprinkled around the shop in a couple of other locations. I'll be able to organize things a bit better with a few extra drawers now. The photo above is one of the small drawers with the TIG accessories that came with the machine and a couple of adaptors I bought to use another set of cables I have. The ground and electrode cables that came with the machine are only ten feet long. I can use those when I'm working on the bench and then throw the longer set on if I need to do something outside or under a vehicle. Easy to change - no tools required.

As soon as I get the collets, collet bodies, gas cups, etc. organized, I'll power the machine up and get familiar with all the controls and see how it works on aluminum. Once the cootie scare recedes, I'll have the guy who wants my old one come by the house and I'll give him a lesson or two on running the old Miller. I'm assuming he still wants it. I'd like to get rid of it because, like Surly, I too am short on floor space.

3 comments:

Surly said...

He still wants it. We talked about it on Saturday. He's a great kid and looking forward to meeting you.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

We'll have to work something out one of these days soon. It's fairly obvious that the virus thing was overblown but, unfortunately, Mom and I are the demographic most likely to perish if we get it.

Surly said...

We discussed that as well. No rush.
He's a pipefitter and 99% of what he does is scratch start, btw.
He wants to learn aluminum.