Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Sore Tooth

The sore tooth I mentioned the other day decided to really blow up Sunday afternoon. I went to the dentist yesterday and the offender is the last remaining wisdom tooth. He prescribed some anti-biotics that hopefully will quiet things down. If not - out it comes. It states on the package that the anti-biotic may cause diarrhea. Not just while taking it but weeks or months down the road. So now I have to deal with a pandemic, civil unrest with protest marches and riots and whether or not I'll be able to make it from my shop to the bathroom in the house. Shitting my pants may not be a big concern in the big picture with all that's going on, but it damn sure is a big thing on a personal level.

I read an editorial in the Fabricator magazine the other day concerning individual health during this time of pandemic. Since the cooties only seems to effect people if they are old, fat and sickly, the editorial stresses the importance of not being fat and sickly - not much any of us can do about growing old. The editorial offered an interesting take on why we should all take charge of our personal health from a source usually associated with the business end or specific techniques of manufacturing.

Now in an attempt to tie the two paragraphs together, a couple of observations from the quarantine. I was probably as well prepared or better prepared for the pandemic as the average guy. Not knowing what exactly I was preparing for makes it a bit difficult to be prepared for all contingencies. I don't have any anti-biotics in house, so I had to leave the house to go to the dentist. However, the dentist just recently opened back up. I don't know what if anything I can do about that.

Sunday I went to put the pitcher pump back on the stand pipe and found out the gasket between the top and bottom pieces of the pump was leaking. Since I got the generator and a new well, I should have water all the time, but if the electric pump were to quit, what then? I'm heading to the hardware store today to see if they have a replacement part. If so, I'll get two.

I usually keep a few bucks cash around the shack but my real stash is in the lock box at the bank. I don't know if I can get access to that or not. Most all of the banks have closed their lobbies and all banking is done through the drive-up windows. I'd rather not keep a lot of cash on hand but I would like to make sure I can access it during a time of emergency. Need to think about that. Ammo can buried out back with a pirate map I can give to Surly. All of you might want to consider spending more cash and less debit or credit card. The government now can follow you around by tracking your phone, vehicle and purchase records. Probably the only reason they haven't outlawed cash already is they don't allow you to buy weed with a debit card and they don't want to lose that source of revenue. Thanks dopers.

Looks like I need to make a list of spare parts and stock up on essential items - redundancy. Two is one, one is none and all that. Probably be a good idea to get one of the old bikes running that doesn't have any electronics to worry about in case of an EMP event. I also need to do a better job of rotating my back up food supply to keep it fresh. Maybe start a calendar with a list of things to do annually, semi-annually, monthly, etc. Now that there's people taking it to the streets, which is liable to get worse before the summer is over, take some action in that direction as well. I keep a bag packed in my truck all the time but the Missus needs to put something similar together.

The tooth is feeling a little better now after taking a couple of Tylenol, so I'll get busy. Just need to remember - never trust a fart! 

2 comments:

MARSHALL OVERCLOTH said...

Aleve will shrink the inflamation around the nerve that cauases severe pain. please try it.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

The anti-biotic has done the trick - pain and tenderness gone. I'll keep the Aleve in mind, though. At my age something's always hurting. Thanks!