Friday, June 26, 2020

Parts is Parts


I finished the parts for work and delivered them the other evening when I went in to resume the welding lessons. I should cut out another batch while I've got the plasma cutter out.

We didn't get much welding done with our first lesson but that's OK. We worked on the MIG machine a bit and got it running properly again and got caught up on what the boys have been doing over the summer. The boss wants me to show them how to use the blade sharpener for the mower blades so that'll be next time.

I went to the funeral home Wednesday evening. The deceased was the father of one of my son's good friends. Nice guy - retired machinist who made it to 80 and died in his sleep. There were several of my son's friends in attendance. I've known these guys since they were in high school or younger. They've all turned out really well - mid to late forties now, good jobs, families, "stand up" guys all of them. Not like those that are pulling down statues, defacing public monuments, etc, and it's obviously not about anything with race when Abe Lincoln and the 54th Massachusetts are hit. I'm afraid the end times are here for the good old USA.

However, on a happier note, flat track racing will resume and Royal Enfield will be fielding a bike in the production class.


That in itself is cool and if you play your cards right, you can give it a try. That's real cool.


The guy who used to cut my hair before I moved to the country is retiring at the end of the week after almost 60 years of running his barber shop. He's eighty years old, so I guess it's time. It just so happens he's also my old boxing coach. If I remember correctly he had over 100 amateur bouts and two Golden Gloves titles plus club fights and exhibitions. In fact, I watched one of the exhibitions he put on at the high school when I was attending and that's what got me started. He helped a lot of us young guys make the transition to young men. He talked me into running a 10.5 mile race back in '76 the town was hosting as part of the bicentennial celebration. I asked him why I should run a 10.5 mile run and the answer was because I'm your coach and I said you should. So run I did.

Enjoy your retirement Johnny & thanks for everything.

No comments: