Monday, May 4, 2020

Just Too Spooky





Surly stopped by late Saturday afternoon to pick up his heat shields and we chatted for a few minutes at a socially responsible distance. I mentioned that the previous day was my older brother's, Surly's uncle, birthday. Also that it was the anniversary of my younger brother Johnny's passing. Surly was pretty tight with Johnny, both being motorcyclists and having the common bond of being tradesmen. Surly headed home, I came in the house and that was that. Until yesterday morning.

I usually watch Noir Alley on TCM Sunday mornings - old black and white movies from the the darker side. At the end of the movie yesterday the host did a wrap on the movie with facts of interest as usual and he concluded by saying viewers should go on the internet and look up a Tom Waits song. I'm a fan of Tom Waits, so I listened to the song and then took a short trip down memory lane thinking back to when Johnny and I went to see Tom Waits. And then I noticed my medic alert necklace was missing.

I had my heart attack about 2-3 weeks before Johnny passed eight years ago. The Missus got me my medical alert necklace at that time. The only time I take it off is to shower, a medical procedure or go through a metal detector like at the airport. I lost the first one at the Dublin airport and the replacement has a heavier chain - no way it will break or come off - so you can imagine my surprise when I noticed it was missing. I checked the bathroom even though I hadn't showered the previous night. I finally found it under the sheet in the bed. In eight years I've never had it come off in my sleep. When I told the Missus about it, the first thing she asked was who have I been thinking about. When I answered Johnny, she replied and what did he do for a living? He was a nurse at the time of his passing. There's your answer, she said. Spooky.








No comments: