Monday, May 11, 2020

Monday Stuff



Might be a project like this one in my future. Surly sent me this - not sure where he came up with it - but he's thinking a bridged swingarm might be what he needs for his big twin HD. He's currently finishing up his engine work. He had to repair some ham-fistedness as is often found on used Harleys. He's also addressing some engine internals that didn't play nice out on the road. I think the issue was like the old days when a guy with a small block Chevy would throw a big cam and four barrel on it and then wonder why it wouldn't accelerate when you stomped on the throttle.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, I got some organizing done in the big barn the other day. Hung some stuff up, put the front wheel back on the rail bike, finally, and found my basketball while I was moving things around. I've never been much of a basketball player but there's a school right down the road that has a playground with some backboards. There's never anyone around when I take my bike rides, so I figured it might be a good supplemental exercise to shoot a few baskets once a week or so. I doubt seriously anyone will run me off like some of the horror stories I've seen lately.

The roofers are supposed to show up this morning and start on the back part of the shack. Yours truly, as much as I hate to admit it, is no longer capable of that kind of work. I could nail down shingles but stripping the old roof off would wreak havoc with my chest. It bothered me for two days after cleaning out the chicken coop. Regardless, the roof is going to be fixed and I should be good in that department for as long as I'll be living here. I'm operating on a ten year plan now. If I'm lucky enough to still be kicking in ten years, this place will be too much for me to take care of and I'll either downsize or they can put me in the home.

It looks like the cold weather is over for the season now so I'm going to plant a few things today - peppers and tomato plants, as well as some other veggie seeds. Depending on how I feel I'll work on something else on the list as well. Not much chance of me running out of things to do.

I checked the "cooties" map and the numbers are still increasing in Indiana. My county's numbers are still pretty low but until the numbers start going down, my lock down continues. Fortunately, not really much of a hardship for the Missus and I. I keep reading of how bad things are financially for a lot of businesses and individuals and how it's going to be bad for a long time after the all clear is given. Going to be interesting, that's for sure - and I imagine there's going to be some good deals to be had on motorcycles, bass boats, snow machines, and other big boy toys. If you're going to have to sell stuff to make ends meet, might start with your guns. There seems to be a big demand once again.

Stay safe and keep your chin up. Better days are coming.

2 comments:

Surly said...

Swingarm pivot bushings and axle adjusters are a weak point on FXR's. If I'm gonna pull it apart and fix those things, along with painting the red brake caliper, might as well stiffen up the swinger. That pic came from an online article from Hot Bike. There's a guy who makes a sweet weld on back half that stiffens and corrects the adjuster issue. Made to order. I would assume it's big money.

Surly said...

Need to add spools for the track stand too.