Monday, May 18, 2020

Slant Six Book


I received my book on Slant Six engines the other day and I'm now able to know definitively what my engine is. According to the casting number and the number stamped on the block what I've got is a high deck 225 cast-iron block with a forged crank. Deck height is 10.70 inches with a 4.125 inch stroke. Blocks cast from 1960 to 1967 had three freeze plugs. Blocks cast from 1968 to 1976 had five freeze plugs. The book also states that all the 225 engines made during those years for passenger car use were painted red. I've got my block painted silver as some of the earlier ones were with orange on the rest of the parts. Orange was used from 1967 up for 225s with a 2 bbl carb for the South African market.

Lots of good historical info like that in the book. I haven't looked too deep into the rebuilding section but I did notice there was a section on installing a TorqStorm supercharger at the back of the book.



That would be totally bitchin' as the saying goes. The kit lists for $2,800 and requires a carb. Not the kind of thing I'm looking for but there were a lot of supercharged champ cars back in the old days. In fact, the designers, foundrymen and machinists really had it going on back then. Lots of innovation and experimentation with some superb craftsmanship. Not the ''billet" stuff you see now days but lots of castings. 

Now that I've got the book I'll get it read so I can feel comfortable putting this beast together. I need to set the engine down between the frame rails and get my mounts figured out before I do that but this will keep me involved on this project.

Lots of rain around here the last few days. I managed to get both the front and back mowed so I'm good there until it dries out. After today it looks like some pleasant weather coming in. It needs to dry out some or my farmer will have to replant my fields - there's been some standing water out there. I've been continuing with the spring cleaning, both inside and out. I've made a small dent in things but I've still got a long way to go. I've been taking notes while working and jotting down things large and small that need to be addressed. Some of the little things will be evening projects - run out to the shop for an hour or so after supper, rather than plopping my ass down in the recliner.

I really don't know what the straight skinny is on the virus but I've already written off any activity this year that will involve traveling or any type of a crowd, large or small. That being the case, I need to spend my time in isolation being productive. Since for all practical purposes I'm now into full time retirement, I can't let myself put too many things off thinking I can get to them tomorrow. I definitely need to discipline myself to get something done every day. That recliner must have some strong magnetic attraction to the lead in my ass or is singing the song of the siren like in the Odyssey and I end up shipwrecked there every evening. Definitely not good.

The virus numbers are still climbing state wide, which seems to be the story most everywhere. Stay safe, wash your hands, keep your travel to a minimum. All of us old folks will appreciate it.

No comments: