Saturday, August 1, 2020

Cooties Plan



A little philosophy, more for my benefit than yours. I'm definitely into the afternoon of life - actually closing in on the twilight as it were.

There was a 50 mile bicycle ride scheduled for today I was planning on doing. There was also a 5K race walk scheduled in two weeks I normally participate in. Since both of these events have been cancelled, this will be the first time in at least 15 years or more that I haven't done a road race, walk, or a long distance bike ride or race. While I'm not the greatest athlete, I do enjoy the training for these events, especially back in the day with my pal Kevin. We spent a lot of time on the road together after work, running and having some great conversations. Now days I normally train on my own but my running buddy and I meet for the event and then go out for breakfast or something afterwards. Good fellowship and some exercise out in the fresh air. Not this year.

No organized athletic events at all for me. I'm cancelling out my ride in the stock car and I've decided to write this year off. Five more months of minimizing my exposure to people. Definitely avoiding  crowds. The cooties aren't subsiding and probably won't any time soon since many people don't seem to be willing to make any type of sacrifice in their lifestyles. While that's certainly understandable with all the misinformation we've been fed, I'm sure I'll be better off staying home. My parents generation had to deal with WWII. My grandparents generation had to deal with WWI and the Spanish Flu. I can deal with the cooties.


I've got a half-assed plan to keep me going until the end of the year. Not much of a lifestyle change. Mostly I'm going to try and keep my days a little more regimented. If things haven't improved by New Year's Day I'll re-evaluate and take it from there.

Stay safe everyone.


2 comments:

Kevin Kaluf said...

I really miss our running and conversations....

Shop Teacher Bob said...

Yep - good times my friend. We'll have to get together when it's safe for me to leave the bunker again.