Sunday, August 23, 2020

Oil Tank

 


I finished the oil tank for the flat track bike. Top photo is the bottom of the tank. Two bosses for mounting, a bung with pipe threads and a coupling with an odd ball 7/8-20 thread. Top view shows three fittings - two for mounting and another bung with pipe threads. The filler neck looks like it comes almost straight out in the photo but it's actually on a 45 deg angle.

 Lots of welding involved and plenty of chances to warp things. I welded in all the fittings before assembling the sides. I clamped a pipe underneath the fittings to keep the sheet tight to them and minimize the warpage. Likewise, I clamped a heavy piece of aluminum under the sheet when I welded the filler neck to do the same. Worked out pretty well. 

When it came time to weld all the sheet metal together I hooked up my new welding machine and used some new type of tungsten. The new welder doesn't seem to initiate the arc like my old machine. Took a bit to figure that out as well as where to set all the dials. Even though I was using AC, the torch needs to be plugged into the negative terminal for TIG welding. I didn't try using the pulse function. I'll try that on some scrap before I put the machine away. It was hard enough getting all the pieces fit up properly with the curved back and trapezoidal sides - not really conducive to easy clamping. I didn't want to risk blowing a hole in the thing while trying to learn the pulse settings.

Anyway, tanks done and it looks pretty good. I hope to hell it fits. None of the dimensions are larger than the cardboard one he gave me to go off of. The only real concern is the clearance on the filler neck. He had layout lines on the cardboard where the frame tubes go and gave me a dimension on the diameter of the tube. Judging by that, it should clear and fit nice and snug along the frame rail. That's the side where the riders leg will be going when the bike is leaned over in a turn, so you don't want anything sticking out to snag or rub his leg.

I'm going to deliver it to Surly today - he's the middleman on this job. I'll then wait for feedback. Here's hoping!

No comments: