Friday, August 21, 2020

Grill & Tank

 

I installed the grill on the Himalayan yesterday. Easy install - only took about five minutes with the included spacers and screws. I think I'm pretty well set on accessorizing this thing now. I would like to find a louder horn for it. Like most motorcycles, the horn is a bit on the limp side. I'd prefer something with a bit more authority.

I started on the oil tank for the flat track racer yesterday as well. I got the piece that will make the top, front and bottom made up. There are seven pieces that had to be welded in place with out warping the thing all to hell. I managed to keep the warpage to a minimum but the welds don't look as pretty as I would have expected. I don't know what the alloy is of the bungs, coupling and bolt bosses, but it doesn't weld like 6061, which is what I would have expected. I don't know the alloy of the sheet either but the welds on sheet to sheet look like I would expect them to. I'm going to work on making the other piece of the tank today and see what I can do about the filler neck. 

The design calls for it to come out the side of the tank at a 45 deg angle but it's not long enough to do that. I might be able to use the piece I cut off to splice in and make up the difference or I might have to make a piece to fill in. The other issue will be being able to tack the piece that makes up the two sides and the back to the first piece I made without an extra pair of hands. I've got several magnetic gizmos that would help immensely if the tank was made from steel but no help on aluminum. TIG welding requires two hands - one for the torch and one for the filler rod. Doesn't leave much for holding things in alignment for tack welding. I was planning on making the tank from .080" but the customer supplied .062". Not much difference in thickness but the heavier gauge does make the welding much easier. 

No comments: