Monday, August 10, 2020

Oil Tank



I machined up the pieces I need to weld into the frame rail for the splice plate and cleaned up some of the mess in the shop.

Surly came down with the grandsons and brought me a gift:



Parts and pieces for an oil tank on a Triumph flat track bike. I made a better cardboard pattern but didn't get it cut out yet. I'm planning on making the tank from two pieces of sheet to minimize the amount of welding. The filler neck is a little short - it should be at least an inch longer, so I'm not sure what we'll do about that. Likewise the pressure feed fitting seems to have a bit different threads than the weld-in bung. Surly said he's going to see the guy the tank is for at the end of the week so I should have an answer then. I'm going to tape my pattern together and drop it off before then to make sure there won't be any clearance problems and then I can take it apart and use it to make the layout for the actual tank. While the cardboard tank Surly dropped off gives the rough shape, it's none too precise.

Should be a good project to keep my skills sharp.

No comments: