Saturday, July 11, 2020

C'est Si Bon



Life is indeed good, at least around here, in spite of all the crap going on out there in the world. Looking at the year at roughly the half way point, it's been different. The Missus and I are doing OK. Physical health isn't suffering much from all this, mental health is taking a bit of a hit. I don't get out much but I do talk to a few people each week. We both miss the family but that's something we're just going to have to deal with. Seems like as time goes by more and more people are saying the hell with all the social distancing and masks and the numbers of new infections are reflecting that. That makes it even more important for us to be extra cautious.

My preparations for the zombie apocalypse were pretty solid. I've made note of a couple of weak areas that need to be addressed but nothing really serious. Fortunately, this pandemic did not shut down the grocery and hardware stores, lumber yards and feed stores. I finally went to Menards for the first time in months but I'm fortunate that we have a good hardware store in town along with a feed store, lumber yard and a Tractor Supply that opened up right before the cooties showed up. I can put on a mask and shop locally if need be or limit my trips by buying things online and having it shipped right to the house.

We live in a small town that shouldn't be affected by any looters/rioters or Antifa thugs. Our house is out in the country a bit and I'm sure all my neighbors are armed. In fact, I heard small arms fire over the weekend just a couple of houses away. While we don't have the big city problems, we do have some of the common small town stuff. Burglaries, drugs, alcohol related issues and now I would guess there is going to be some more business closings and lay-offs that are going to hurt more than a few people around here. Money was already tight for a lot of folks county-wide. I don't see that improving any time soon. In fact, it probably won't be too much longer before we see the effects of the feds printing money like hell wouldn't have it. That'll really put the bite on people who don't have much to begin with. Every day what little they have will be worth less and their buying power will continue to shrink. That's going to hurt. And even if you can put some money in the bank, you won't get anything in the way of interest.

So at least for now, the Missus and I are dealing with all the uncertainty of these times about as well as an old married couple can be expected to. The report from the oncologist was a big relief. I'm grateful for all we have and I feel for all of those who aren't as fortunate as we are. Hopefully things will improve before too much longer. If not, God help us all.

No comments: