Monday, July 6, 2020

Jitney



I might have to go back to work - $3,200 from Speedway Motors plus another $535 for the big Ford brake kit. Still would need the rest of the parts to hang it under the frame rails - spring hangers, radius rods, shocks, etc. Lots of money but the quick change would not only work well but it would look right at home under the jitney project. I've cut down 9" Ford and 12 bolt Chevy housings before so that's an option. The quick change is 56" hub to hub which would pair up with my front axle nicely. Even if I don't buy the parts any time soon, I'm going to have to decide what it is I'm going to do so I can finish the frame rails.


The nose is finished, or mostly so. I just tacked the gussets on to the spring perch in case I need to change the angle a bit. In the one book I've got it says the king pins should be inclined by about four degrees to keep the car from wanting to wander. High speed cars like those running at Bonneville typically are set up with even more angle. I'm going to weld a piece inside the frame rails that will extend into the nose on each side. I'll drill a couple of holes on each side so I can bolt the nose on in addition to clamping it, that way I can hang the axle off the front and line everything up after I split the wishbone. I bought brackets that will hang down below the frame rails a bit. I'll have to see what the angle is on the axle after locating the radius rods and see what needs to be done after that.

The nose piece looks pretty good with a bit of primer on it. I'm thinking it'll look even better once the Slant-Six is sitting between the rails.

No comments: