Thursday, July 16, 2020

Gooseberries Gone

While I still don't know how much wood a woodchuck will chuck other than the wall of my shop, I do have the answer to how many gooseberries he'll consume - that would be all of them on both bushes. When I was out yesterday mowing and cleaning up some scrub brush I noticed the gooseberries were void of any fruit what-so-ever. They were looking pretty good last time I checked - not ripe put plumping up nicely. I'm assuming it was the woodchuck that did the deed. I've never had any issue in the past except for the one time I let the chickens out of the pen for the day and they discovered the ripe berries.

My hazelnut bushes have a lot of nuts on them now. Last year something cleaned those off about the time I was ready to pick them, I don't know what exactly got them but I assume it was a squirrel since I found a bunch of the outer shells that had been opened up to get at the meat inside. I don't know how to prevent that from happening again but I'm thinking about making up a spray of hot sauce and giving that a try. I don't mind sharing some of the harvest but no gooseberries means no pie and no hazelnuts means no healthy snack which puts me back to potato chips and cheap sandwich cookies.

I looked into a distributor, fuel pump and remote oil filter from both Jegs and Speedway Motors. Neither of them had a distributor listed but eBay had several listings for electronic distributors. Rock Auto had three listings for both new and remanufactured ones but are the stock items that use breaker points. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I doubt the slant-six will be a high revver even with the hotter cam I'll be running. As long as I get a decent coil for it, old school tech should be OK. It was good enough for 1966. However, I'm still leaning toward the electronic distributor.

I have to take the dog to the groomer today but nothing else planned so I'm hoping to get some work done in the shop. I got a text message from the boss looking for some more parts and I quoted out a small job for a motorcycle oil tank. It's a small job but lots of aluminum welding. Might be a good job for the new welding machine. The aluminum job would be a good one to keep my skills up. The job for the boss would just be a job for the boss. Repetitive work but keeps me in car parts.

No comments: