Sunday, July 26, 2020

New Water Tank



The pressure tank for the water system here at the shack gave it up. The idea behind the tank is to have a little water in it with air pressure in the tank keeping uniform pressure on the system. If the tank fails the pump will cycle on and off every time a faucet is turned on or a toilet is flushed. In fact, it might cycle on and off several times while refilling the tank on the toilet.

I picked up a new tank on Friday and installed it on Saturday. All I had to buy to install it was a union and some primer and glue for the plastic pipe. I put a small bucket under the feed pipe and then I cut it. I had a larger bucket that I could dump the small bucket into and when I had the large bucket full I took it outside and dumped it. I had just about enough time to make it outside and back again before the little bucket was full again. Because the diaphragm on the old tank had broken down, it had about 50 gallons of water in it. So it required 20 some trips up the stairs, empty the bucket, back down the stairs, dump the little bucket twice and then back up the stairs. Fortunately, this was the worse part of the job.

I brought some tools in the house prior to starting and I didn't have to make a trip back out to the shop for anything. Cut the feed pipe, clean up the ends, swap out the one piece from the old tank to the new, glue the union in and put it back together. I didn't even bang my head on anything - which was incredible since there are two filter units hanging down right above where I was working. It said on the box it was an easy installation but with plumbing how often does that happen? I celebrated by mowing the front yard.

I think I'm going to cut the old tank in half and make a couple of planters. Maybe plant some tomatoes down the basement this winter. I've got a welding job to do for my buddy today and maybe an aluminum job in the works for a former student. Surly's supposed to be down today to use the blast cabinet. It'll be good to see him and the boys even if it is from six feet away.

No comments: