Friday, April 30, 2021

This - n - That

The following was in a post at Running 'Cause I Can't Fly2. He posts quite a bit of political and financial stuff, along with some poetry and other things. It's one of my daily reads.

That is, why not more government? And as Monsieur Pierre-Joseph Proudhon once observed: "To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be [placed] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality."

Seems like these days we're being governed if not to death, certainly into the poor house. 


Motorcycling great Dick Mann passed away the other day. Click on the link and get a brief bio and list of his accomplishments. The article mentions he was a winner of all the major forms of racing. It doesn't mention you had to be good at all of those to win the National Number One plate back then. He was also involved in AHRMA racing back when I was involved and I got a chance to meet him. Nice guy and one tough old bird.


In addition to the two large projects that I'm currently working on, I've got a bunch of little piddly things I'm trying to complete, repair or toss out. The hammer in the photo requires a handle like an old claw hammer, that is the hole is rectangular rather than oval like most ball peen hammers have. The head's been floating around here for years but neither the local hardware store or Menards had a handle to fit it, so I made one yesterday. The wood isn't hickory or ash but I had fun making it, even if it doesn't last long. I really don't need it, as far as that goes. I've got plenty of hammers but the new handle does fit my hand nicely. The small hammer head in the photo is up next. I'm going to look through the woodpile and see what I've got. There should be something there suitable for a handle. The head's only about 8 ounces, so it's not good for much other than layout work. But like the other one, it's not good for anything at all without a handle.

After trapping the raccoon in the top of the shop the other day, I thought I'd set the trap up in the barn since there is plenty of "evidence" of racoons stopping by. When I went to check the trap there was a 'possum this time. I think I'll keep it set for at least another week and then I'll put it back in the top of the shop.

I ordered the material for the side hustle and the rear sprocket for the Rickati. They both should be here the first of next week. In the meantime, I've got some flowers and veggies to plant, grass to mow and the list of catch-up jobs.

And last but not least, the bicycle race I mentioned recently is a go. Now that I've got an event to train for, time to pull the rag out of my ass and start training. I had a Zoom advisory committee meeting yesterday evening and then got out on the bike for a quick six mile ride. I've got a long way to go before I'm race ready but they do have a medal for the oldest rider. That could be me!

1 comment:

Surly said...

I have one of those handles in my box. Brand new.