Friday, April 23, 2021

Shocks & Tire

 


The tax lady called me yesterday morning telling me she was finished so I ran up there. When I got home I was greeted by my new tire. I'm thinking I can take the old one and hang it on a fence post out back like they do out west. I missed earth day yesterday or I could have set it on fire to celebrate.

After tackling a couple of chores around the shack, I decided I needed to get the new tire mounted. It's been a while since I wrestled a motorcycle tire but since I already made the decision to buy the tire and do the install myself, figured I might as well get after it. My approach was a bit on the clumsy side initially but things kept moving forward until I tried putting the tube in the tire. The heavy duty tube is tough to get in there and the rim strip moved enough to block the hole for the valve stem and the bead lock so I had to pull the tube back out and start over. I eventually got the tire mounted and as long as it's still holding air when I go out there later, it'll be a done deal.

About the time I was getting ready to call it a day, my shocks and footpegs showed up.



I stuck the swingarm, wheel and the new shocks under the bike to get a look-see. That gave me a warm & fuzzy. The chain should show up today. Waiting to hear back about the sprockets again. I need to contact the outfit that does the brake relining but the list keeps getting shorter.


The tire tools I used to mount the new tire. The two long levers I made from some 1/2" cold rolled. The extra length makes the job much easier than the shorter store bought ones, however, the skinny rods could really profit from a larger diameter on the grip end. I'll have to add that to the project list. Not a rush job but if I ever change another tire, I'll wish I'd taken the time to have made nicer handles.

I'll finish the swingarm and make the spacers next, mount the footpegs and then I should be about ready to take it apart and send the motor out. Getting closer all the time.

No comments: