Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Stand By Me


The local radio station does a "Then and Again" feature. Yesterday they did the song Stand By Me. They played the original Ben E. King version and then followed it up with the Cassius Clay version. I didn't even know that he had ever cut an album. Or maybe I did and it was just so long ago I forgot, like a lot of other things brought about by old age and a serious head injury. The DJ said this song has been recorded by over 400 artists. This isn't a bad version, actually.


The first of the new parts came in yesterday. I should be receiving an order Thursday, Friday and Monday according to the tracking info. Other than the sprockets, that should be most everything. I'm not sure about the carb yet. I've got an Amal that will bolt on but the throat diameter is a bit large. It's a 30mm and the stock one on the scrambler was a 27mm Dellorto. I'll talk to my buddy and see what he recommends. It'll be a while before I'm ready for a carb. However, the tax lady told me yesterday I've got a decent refund coming. Might as well spend it on bike and car parts - as long as I can talk the Missus out of some of it, that is.

I finished most of the welding on the swingarm yesterday. I needed to turn the heat back on in the shop in order to do that. Maybe I didn't need to turn it on but my comfort has taken priority over my pocket book the last few years. The temps were in the low to mid thirties yesterday. In fact, it snowed most of the day. It's supposed to be a cold one today as well. So another day of running the heater in the shop but I'm making good progress on the bike. Should be back on the jitney soon.

2 comments:

Surly said...

I've got a 28mm Mikuki if you need it. Will probably require an adapter. I may have one that fits. Bob will probably recommend an Amal.

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I've got a fairly good selection of jets and needles for Mikunis if I were to go that route. You're right about using an Amal. He uses them on all of his Ducati motors and he'd be able to set mine up without me having to fiddle with it. I'm not opposed to buying a new carb. I never had a budget for this thing, so if it ends up like some government job with cost over-runs, that's fine.