Thursday, April 22, 2021

Swing Arm

 Cold again. It was down about freezing when I got up on Wednesday morning and it was supposed to get a little colder still last night. It didn't seem like anything got hurt Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Have to see how everything held up last night when I go out.


The crab apple seemed to hold up well - no browning of the blossoms. I walked by it last weekend and it was literally buzzing with activity from the bees. I saw a couple of bumble bees as well as the honey bees. Other than it's real pretty when in bloom, it's not all that great of a choice to be up close to the house. It's pretty messy in the fall when the fruit drops. I did grind some of the crab apples up and added them to the other apples when I made wine and cider a few years back. If I get any kind of a crop this year I'd like to make some cider again, maybe another batch of wine as well. While the apple wine was decent, I really liked the peach wine I made. I need to plant a couple more peach trees before much longer if I want to get some fruit before they put me in the home.



I decided to use the axle adjusters from my old race bike to simplify things. I'll need to shorten them up a bit but I've got a hacksaw. I need to do just a bit of filing and drill and tap the pivot tube for a grease fitting and then I can call it done. Since it's all shiny clean I should put some primer on it before it starts to rust again. As soon as the rest of the parts arrive I'll get the spacers for the rear wheel machined up and I'll be real close to sending the motor out and getting this thing finished up. Should be a fun little machine.

No comments: