Sunday, April 11, 2021

Grabber Anniversary


Today's the ninth anniversary of my heart attack. It's been long enough that I tend to forget I even had one, which is where a lot of people go wrong. It's real easy to fall back into the old habits after time dulls the memory. I've been doing pretty well at fighting the good fight - not as diligent as I could or should do perhaps, but I've been keeping my weight in check and getting some exercise. Still slacking when it comes to eliminating sugar from my diet, though.   

Last year was tough with the Cooties pandemic. I had to stay away from the boxing gym and there weren't any race walking events. The worst part of it, in retrospect, was the uncertainty of the seriousness of the disease and the duration. If I had known the two week shut-down was going to be one year plus, I would have come up with a plan earlier on. As it is, I'm doing alright, just took me a while to realize that I couldn't wait it out.

I got out on my bicycle yesterday and put in seven miles. Not real fast, mind you, but fast enough to get the start of a sweat up. It looks like many of the bike rides will be resuming this year. I was perusing the Bike Rides in Indiana site and there are several of them through out the year of various lengths that I could choose from that wouldn't require an overnight stay to get there in time for the required starting time. I'm going to talk to my running buddy and see if she's up for some long distance cycling this year. I'd like to work my way back into being in good enough shape to at least do a metric century (62 miles) again, with or without her. It's always better to have a training partner to keep you honest, however.

I'll be back in the shop today to get some more work done on the Rickati and, if it's not raining, doing my walkies this afternoon. Stay well everyone! Get outside into the sunshine and get a bit of exercise. It's the best thing you can do for yourself.  

No comments: